Overview: Bonner Springs Parks & Recreation provides paid internship opportunities each year to qualified Parks & Recreation major students. This internship allows students to bridge the gap between classroom theory and practice. Interns will get hands on experience in the Parks & Recreation field as well as gain a general knowledge of how the Bonner Springs Parks & Recreation Department operates. Interns will work at least 480 hours or 12 consecutive weeks during the summer season (May-August).
Level of Responsibility: Interns will be under the direct supervision of the Recreation Coordinator but will spend time learning from several department supervisors. The intern’s level of responsibility will vary from working side by side with seasonal staff to managing employees or an event on their own.
General Responsibilities/Learning Opportunities:
- Work behind the scenes to learn planning, budgeting and staff management of recreation programs and special events as well as leading assigned programs.
- Operate Parks and Recreation Registration Software, to register patrons and manage rosters.
- Provide a high quality of customer service to patrons.
Examples of Responsibilities for Summer Intern:
- Plan and work special events.
- Escort Senior and Summer Camp trips.
- Learn operations of pool, summer camp, and maintenance.
- Currently enrolled in collegiate coursework relating to Parks & Recreation.
- Weekend and evening availability, ability to work independently and self-motivated.
- Microsoft Office skills preferred.
Interested candidates should contact Bonner Springs Parks and Recreation by e-mailing an application, resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Interested candidates must also fill out a City of Bonner Springs application. Candidates will be interviewed and if chosen, hired as a City of Bonner Springs employee for duration of internship.